Sunday, January 18, 2015

Global Warming In A Climate Of Change

Most scientists agree on climate change. Initially, many scientists agreed on global warming, which evolved into climate change.

Some skeptics and naysayers counter the widely accepted science. For example, offering that the earth cools and warms cyclically anyway, regardless of human interaction. Of course, historical evidence exists for this hypothesis. A salient point worth exploring is human impact, vis-à-vis our actual contribution to changing the temperature/climate of our temporary home, this little planet.

This post is not intended to support arguments for or against climate change. Rather, it is intended to encourage thought, debate and education… and perhaps even amuse.

There are about 1 billion cars on the planet today. Did you know? Or, you could ask, “What does that matter?” And then, most people know that there are about 7+ billion people on the planet.

So, as a result of my being the self-appointed president of Isaac Newton’s Florida Fan Club, or simply a Newtonian wannabe, or at least a fan of all things Newton other than his hairstyle… I thought to dig a little deeper.

My first ‘discovery’ is actually a reminder of how stupid I would be without Google. Now, some people who know me may offer that I possess stupidity regardless of Google, but at the very least I am capable of investigative search.

Oh yeah, 1 billion cars. I was distracted for a minute. And 7 billion people. Maybe it would be okay to just use rounding for illustrative purposes? As in, there are about seven people for every one car on the planet.

Now, according to my Google research efforts and analysis, I discovered that the ratio of people to cars in the USA is about 1.3:1, and in China, 6.75:1.

These ratios above probably make sense of human wealth and population distribution, and would elevate US car owners right to the top of the list of people most accused and/or presumed guilty of contributing to climate change.

Or global warming. Or whatever you would prefer. I do not really care about the naming convention. As long as we can just discuss it, become informed, and better educated about important matters.

I thought that I should avoid Mickey Mouse opinions and only focus on Mouse instead. So, I went to the US Environmental Protection Agency’s website and found this calculation:
It would be okay to ignore the formula but not the result.

The average vehicle emits 4.7 metric tons of CO2 annually. Sounds like plenty huh? Well it is. And because there are more than 1 billion vehicles globally emitting almost 5 metric tons per vehicle, I thought I would continue rounding the numbers… and just call it 5 billion tons of CO2 emitted by vehicles.

5 Billion tons can also be called 5 gigatons. You are welcome.

As a next step in my scientific discovery, I thought to explore other things that emit CO2. I chose not to pick on your pets or livestock. People get upset when you criticize their cats, dogs or cows. I specifically excluded cow emissions from my superficial research. Some people consider a cow to be a sacred animal. Others consider a cow to be source of dairy, steak, leather, etc.

So, I decided to pick a fight with us instead. As in, people. You know… the billions of little soft-celled, carbon machines that breathe in oxygen, and emit CO2. Also, we do this 24/7, unlike cars that spend most of their lives idle, parked, and not running. When your car’s engine is not running, I would assume your human engine is still ticking, and that you are still living, breathing? At least, I hope so, for everyone’s sake!

So, how about the 7 billion humans roaming planet earth? The website "Information Is Beautiful" (and several others) calculates total human emissions to be about 37 gigatons. I know, right?!

I was going to use human CO2 emissions data from SkepticalScience, but that would have been inappropriate because I am neither a Science skeptic, nor a climate change naysayer or denier. In fact, quite the contrary. When presented evidence that contradicts my current beliefs, I can pivot in seconds! In fact, people should prefer evidence to pseudoscience.

So, I am not arguing for or against climate change, but simply providing facts.

There are too many people on earth. I have done the math. More people than whatever relevance you could possibly attach to owning a Prius, or Tesla. Never mind solar panels! Although, I am confident that you meant well when you made those socially respectable, caring, CAPEX investments. And, presumably, any/all good deeds still matter.

I have yet to arrive at a solution for the problem that I have unfortunately identified. This will trouble me endlessly. My DNA compels me to find simple solutions to complex problems. So, if you are able to assist, please share your thoughts.

In the meantime, maybe you can plan a visit to your parents? I am sure they miss you. When you make the road trip, take the V8 roadster. Because, you now know that your parents helped cause this climate change problem... by having you!

No comments:

Post a Comment